Well, first of all being presentable and polite is not that easy. But as a professional, we need to be presentable and polite almost all the time of the day.
Well, first of all being presentable and polite is not that easy. But as a professional, we need to be presentable and polite all the time of the day. We need to make sure that we take good care of our personal hygiene. We need to follow the GMRC that we learned from school and family.
If somebody compliments you because you look great, don’t forget to say thank you because you deserve that compliment. Make sure that everything is in place, especially you. Be yourself if you think it’s good for you and for others that means so much to you. If you are pleasing and stunning, you’re happy and proud. Survey says that people earn respect easily if they are presentable. Some people said that just be true to yourself because they can easily accept you by being who you are, your status, your habit and how broad you are. Yes, that is true! But sometimes we need to put some finesse to our self. The way we talk, the way we carry ourselves to the public. Just like drinking a tea. Wouldn’t be nice if the pinkie is out? Which one is acceptable and formal? True to your self, self confidence, that’s all fine. But many of us are just like a precious stone that needs to be polished to shine to make it more valuable. If our normal behavior is to wipe our mouth on sleeves of our shirt, or put our feet on the bench while we eat. Then that shows how irresponsible and selfish we are, if we’re just doing these to satisfy ourselves. There is a saying: Respect others if you want to be respected. Sometimes we need to change ourselves for the betterment and more acceptable to the public and society. Some people say, if they change their behavior they are not the same person anymore. I personally disagree with this statement. They are still the same person but with better personality and manners than before. Let us start!
- When eating – Don’t put your elbows on the table.
- Eat slowly; no one will take your food.
- Don’t brush your hair in public especially in the restaurant. Go to a restroom or a toilet.
- Don’t forget to put a clean handkerchief in your pocket or bag. Just in case you sneeze or you want to wipe your sweat from your face instead of using a tissue or your hands.
- Don’t butt in if you don’t know the topic in a conversation.
- Wash your mouth after you eat. This will add confidence on your side.
- When you’re making a call, don’t forget to greet first and ask the person if he/she is busy or available to speak to. Don’t assume that you can speak to him/her immediately. Observe the time.
- Instead of saying; do you understand? When you’re explaining something. Use’’ Was that clear?’’ or ‘’did I explain that clearly?’’
- Don’t be so defensive and put the blame on others directly or immediately. It will be nice if you say’’ you maybe right but wouldn’t be better if we do this?’’ Criticism will become effective only if you use euphemistic words.
- Make some priorities. This will guide you to your direction that you want to be.
Did I explain this clearly?