They say charity begins at home. Very true. In the same mould it is also very true that respect for other people and their rights begin with the inner-self of each person.
To have respect for other people you must be assertive, have confidence and feel self-assured, have self-respect and also love yourself. All these attributes boil down to one thing: you must have a positive self-esteem. But, the bad news is that to have a good or positive self-esteem just doesn’t happen nor are you born with it. It needs hard work to get there.
Here are 8 tips or steps to get there:
1. You must accept yourself for what you are and love yourself: Once you have accepted yourself you can start to build on a better you. To love yourself is not a matter of being selfish or being egocentric. It only means that you must care for yourself.
2. It all depends on attitude: Accept the fact that you cannot control everything in life but ensure that you deal with everything with a positive attitude – it must be an attitude of “yes, I can make a difference”.
3. Learn from experience: In life there are many lessons to learn. Decide whether you are going to be a victim or survivor when learning these lessons.
4. It is human to err: It is therefore not whether you will make mistakes – it is inevitable that you will make mistakes. Once again, it is how you will react to these mistakes. Mistakes enrich and ensure personal growth.
5. You are never too old to learn: You will stop to learn the day you die. Learning never ends. Your whole life is a school. Accept it like that and make sure you pass cum laude!
6. The people you interact with are mirrors of what your personality reflects: Always remember, judge and you will be judged – this means that you must be careful in judging people because they may feel the same way about you as you feel towards them.
7. Listen to yourself: Remember, all the answer you may seek about yourself, is within yourself. Listen to your heart but also listen to your gut feeling.
8. They say no man is an island: This is true but you must make time to have quiet and quality time alone on your own. Meditation is a necessity and you must take stock of your own life.
To have a positive self-esteem is therefore very hard work. But once you have acquired it, you will be on top of the world and Life!