“Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry” James 1:19.
Most relationships are destroyed because people do not listen to each other. We are too focused on ourselves that we miss what the other person is saying. When we pray, we assume that God is listening to our prayers but do we pause to listen to Him? If we paid more attention by listening we would avoid future heartache.
So what are some of the advantages of listening?
- Listening protects you from trouble- a good listener receives instructions, suggestions and warnings (tell this to your teenager).
- Listening lets you know what is going on- If we believe that life is about learning experiences, the more you listen and understand, the more you learn from your experiences.
- Listening makes you more competent- Regardless of what your position is, the more information you have about the position (and that includes being a parent) the more successful you will be.
- Listening makes you look intelligent- This is a double edge sword in that the better you listen the more knowledge you acquire but it also makes you look intelligent.
- Listening increases your power- There is a saying that “knowledge is power, use it”. the power of knowledge gained through listening enables you to have more data at your disposal than others.
- Listening helps you understand others- The only way to understand others and make them meet your needs and you meet theirs is by listening to them.
- Listening help you negotiate better- To get what you want you must start at the point of knowing what the other person is willing to give.
- Listening defuses anger in others- The best initial response to emotions is made with your ears. By listening to an angry person, you understand the cause of their anger and you can then demonstrate proper empathy.
- Listening builds self esteem- When you listen to another person, you are in effect saying “I value you and what you have to say”. This applies to spouse, your children, employee and friends.
- Listening makes love real- listening is one of the most convincing expression of love and caring. By taking time to listen, you affirm the other person and show them that they are important to you.