The Egyptians worshiped the onion as a symbol of eternal life. Here is a list of 10 strange superstitions about onion.
Though there are many disputes regarding the origin of onion, studies show that it had appeared in Mediterranean region first. In modern times onions are widely used in cooking. But many funny and strange superstitions are prevalent regarding onions in folklore.
- An onion placed under the pillow can produce prophetic dreams. When you are in confusion what to decide then scratch your options on onions, each one on separate onion and keep them in dark. The first one that sprouts decides the answer.
- If you throw away the onion peelings on the ground, your prosperity will go out. To retain the riches burn them in the fireplace.
- Throw an onion after a bride to keep her happy.
- Sticking a small onion with full of pins and keeping it in a window guards the home from evils.
- Rub with the cut edge of an onion against the afflicted part of the body. Onion will receive the trouble and relieve you from the pain. Then the onion should be burned for the permanent recovery.
- Rub the cut edge of an onion on warts and throw over your right shoulder without looking back to get permanent relief from warts.
- To protect against sickness, a large red onion is tied against the bed post; it is believed that this can help quick recovery too.
- It is believed that when a person is seriously ill, an onion should be burned for his recovery.
- Eating raw onions increases the energy flow in the body. It is believed that onions provoke lust.
- Rubbing with the cut edge of an onion on knives and swords purifies them.