Interesting historical facts about events that happened in the month of April, over the decades.
Since the world is seeking quick info and ‘sound bite’ facts about the days we live in, here are some more historical and present day factoids about the month of April.
1. The USA put its 1st Weather Satellite in orbit around the Earth on April 1, 1960.
2. April 2, 1792, the U.S. Congress passed the Coinage Act, which authorized the establishment of the United States Mint.
3. April 2, 1877, the first Easter egg roll at the White House took place.
Image via Wikipedia
5. April 6th, 1862, the American Civil War Battle of Shiloh took place.
6. April 6th, 1917, the United States of America declared war on Germany (WWI).
7. On April, 9th, 1965, Robert E. Lee signed the surrender of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox Court House, Virginia, 1865. And the American Civil War officially ended, although many battles would take place in the western regions of the country for several months thereafter.
8. The first patent law was passed, April 9, 1790.
9. On April 14th, 1965, President Abraham Lincoln was shot by John Wilkes Booth, at Ford’s Theatre, Washington, D.C., while watching a performance of Our American Cousin.
Image via Wikipedia
10. The Titanic luxury liner struck and iceberg and sank, April 15th, 1912.
11. The famous San Francisco earthquake & fire happened on April 18th, 1906.
12. On April 19th, 1898 the Spanish-American War began.
13. The Lawrence Seaway opened, April 25th, 1959.
14. On April 26th, 1986, the devastating nuclear accident at the Chernobyl Nuclear plant in the Soviet Union happened. The area is still unsafe, contaminated and off limits to humans
15. America’s first Social Security checks were distributed, April 27th, 1937.
16. On April 22, 1864, the U.S. government added “In God We Trust” on all newly minted coins issued in the country.
17. The American Library of Congress was established on April 24, 1800. It is the world’s largest library.
18. April 26, 1944, the U.S. saw Federal troops sent to the Chicago offices of Montgomery Ward to seize and remove its chairman after his refusal to obey President Roosevelt’s order to recognize a CIO union.
19. On April 30, 1948, Palestinian Jews declared their independence from British rule and established the new country of Israel.
20. It was on April 30th, 1945 that The Third Reich surrendered and thus Hitler’s domination of Germany and the beginning of the end of WWII began.