10 Random January Facts.
10 Random January Facts
1. January is named for Janus, a Roman god.
2. In the northern half of the world, January is the coldest month. In the southern half of the world, January is the warmest month.
3. The garnet is the birthstone for January.
4. The snowdrop is the flower for the month of January.
5. January 3 is a holiday to celebrate the slain civil rights leader, Martin Luther King Jr.
6. Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation January 1, 1863.
7. Inauguration Day for every U.S. President every fourth year, beginning in January 20, 1937.
8. January is known as the door to the year and is the first month of the year in the Gregorian calendar.
9. Capricorn and Aquarius are the astrological signs for January. Birthdays from January 1st through the 19th fall under the sign of Capricorn. January 20th through the 31st birthdays fall under the sign of Aquarius.
10. January is National Soup Month in the United States of America.