What is the story behind the turkey and Thanksgiving?
1.In 1860s, President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed Thanksgiving a national holiday.
2. Benjamin Franklin proposed that the turkey be the official United States’ bird. He was upset when the bald eagle was chosen.
3.The first turkey donated to the White House was for Christmas not Thanksgiving.
4. In the 1940s, the National Turkey Federation and the Poultry National Board started the tradition of giving a turkey to the White house.
5. President Truman was the first president to recieve the turkey.
6. President George H. Bush was the first to pardon the turkey in 1989.
7. The turkeys that were pardoned resided at a place in Virignia called Frying Pan Park.
8. In 2005 the pardon turkeys made a new home in Disneyland where they take turns being the Grand Marshall in the Thanksgiving Day Parade.
9. Last year more than 226 million turkeys were consumed in the U.S. More than 247 million were raised.
10. 88% of Americans eat turkey for Thanksgiving.
Image via Wikipedia