Just a few facts I have about the holiday.
What is Valentine’s Day? How did it start? I will attempt to answer these questions and give more information and facts about this particular holiday.
While there are various theories on what the origins of Valentine’s Day may be the most popular ones date back to the time of the Roman Empire around the reign of Claudius II in about 270 AD. Claudius didn’t want his men to marry during wartime because he believed that single men made better soldiers then married ones. Bishop Valentine went against his wishes and performed secret wedding ceremonies. For this, Valentine was jailed and then executed by order of the Emperor on February 14. While in jail, he wrote a love note to the jailor’s daughter signing it, “From your Valentine.” Does that sound familiar at all?
The Random Facts:
· In the year of 1537 February 14th was officially declared as St. Valentine’s Day by King Henry VII.
· Physicians of the 1800’s would commonly advise many of their patients to eat chocolate to calm their pining for lost love.
· The red roses are considered the flower of love because the color red stands for strong romantic feelings.
· Worldwide each year there are over 1 Billion Valentines are sent out.
· The conversation hearts that hit the shelves every year for Valentine’s Day actually have a shelf life of 5 years.
· Some people believe that a kiss given on Valentine’s Day is considered to bring good luck all year.
· The very first actual recorded valentine that was sent was sent in February 1415 by the English Duke of Orleans.