Really interesting list of Christmas Blessings and sayings….from olden days and today.
The Christmas Holiday has long been a time of parties and revelry where many blessings and toasts are spoken over a glass (chalice of grog) of wine. These blessings honor the past year or usher in the promises of the New Year! Some of the best Christmas Blessings are compiled for your enjoyment, so have a good laugh or use one at your next Christmas gathering and surprise your fellow party mates with a bit of “old days” class.
1. “May you never forget
What is worth remembering
What is best forgotten.”
2. “ Somehow not only for Christmas
But all the long year through,
The joy that you give to others
Is the joy that comes back to you.
And the more you spend in blessing
The poor and lonely and sad,
The more of your heart’s possessing
Returns to make you glad.” – John Greenleaf Whittier
3. An Irish Blessing
‘Nollaig shona duit!’
‘Nollaig faoi shéan is faoi shonas duit.’
A prosperous and happy Christmas to you.
May peace and plenty be the first to lift the latch on your door, and happiness be guided to your home by the candle of Christmas.
- May the Santa of my Grandma bring to you all gifts and wishes of your desires this Yuletide Eve. So, place your finger on your nose and wink one eye as you seal your wish over the cup of brew….and may the saints be with you and yours as new season comes upon hearth and home.
5. “A little smile, a word of cheer,
A bit of love from someone near,
A little gift from one held dear,
Best wishes for the coming year.”
John Greenleaf Whittier
6. May the spirit of Christmas bring you peace,
The gladness of Christmas give you hope,
The warmth of Christmas grant you love.
- This was spoken in space on Christmas Eve ~~~~
Give us, O God, the vision which can see Your love in the world in spite of human failure.
Give us the faith to trust Your goodness in spite of our ignorance and weakness.
Give us the knowledge that we may continue to pray with understanding hearts.
And show us what each one of us can do to set forward the coming of the day of universal peace. ~~~~~ Frank Borman, Apollo 8 space mission, 1968
- “Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love.”
- Hamilton Wright Mabi
9. Let us remember that the Christmas heart is a giving heart, a wide open heart that thinks of others first. The birth of the baby Jesus stands as the most significant event in all history, because it has meant the pouring into a sick world of the healing medicine of love which has transformed all manner of hearts for almost two thousand years… Underneath all the bulging bundles is this beating Christmas heart.
- George Mathhew Adams
- “May the Blessings of Christmas
be with you today and always.”