Many of us spend hours online surfing the internet, playing games or chatting with friends. But the online world can be dangerous, with threats and cyber bullies. Find out about those dangers and take precautions to protect yourself!
Image via CrunchBase
There are many different forms of cyber bullying that vary in different levels of seriousness. Some victims of cyber bullying can be very affected by it and become depressed over it. So, what are some acts of cyber bullying?
- Posting insulting or nasty comments on someone’s blog, Facebook, personal space
- Sending threats or verbally abusing someone via the Internet or other technological devices
- Posting unpleasant or private information, pictures or comments about someone online without his/her approval
These are just some examples of cyber bullying. If you have ever been a victim, just ignore those comments and block the person who posted them from your personal page, especially if he/she continues to do so. Remember that these cyber bullies are just cowards who do not have the courage to face you in real life.
- Protect yourself! Toggle your privacy settings on your blog and Facebook so that only you, your family and close friends can view them. You wouldn’t want to give cyber bullies any chance to enter your blog.
- Do NOT reveal personal information like your home address or mobile number online, even to your friends! Any information can be easily leaked out on the Internet. Also, do not share pictures with anyone you do not know.
- Be careful of ‘virtual friends’. You can never know who they really are. Never agree to meet anyone you do not know as it may be dangerous, especially for women.
If you take these precautions, you can prevent yourself from being a victim of cyber bullying. Don’t turn into a cyber bully yourself either. Think before you act, as something that may seem harmless to you can have irreversible effects on someone else. The virtual world should be a place for people to enjoy.