Do you want to practice speaking in Sinhalese, the language for Sri Lanka? Well, here are some basic lessons to get you started.
Hi, I’m Rajind and i am from Sri Lanka. I’m just going to teach you some basic Sinhala words if you are travelling to Sri Lanka. So here are some basic words you can easily learn -
- Ayubowan (Ah-You-Bo-One) – Welcome
- Istuti – Thank you
- Bohmisituti – Thank you very much
- Mamer (Ma-mer) – I am
- Yaneva (Ya-Ner-Va) – Going
- Hari (Hurry) – OK
- Mokadde? (Mo-Kad-Der) – What?
- Lassanai (Lassa-na-yi) – Beautiful
- Komade? (Ko-Mer-The) – How are you?
- Hondai (Hond-Dai) – I am fine
- Now that you have learned some words, let’s try some basic everyday senteces -
- Koheda Yanne? (Ko-hey-da Yan-nay) – Where are you going?
- Matta Gederata Yanava (Mat-te Ge-Dara-Ta Ya-na-va) – I am going home
- Kiyade meykay (Key-Yada May-Kay) – How much is this?
- Dolahai (Dough-La-High) – Ten
- Oatta Vayasate Kiyade? (Oa-te Vaya-sata Kiya-da) – How old are you?
- Ekolahai – Eleven
- Velavate Kiyade (Vela-vete Kiya-de) – What time is it?
- Than pahai (Than Pa-hai) – Now it is 5
Here are some basic words you may need to know to get used to around Sri Lanka! Enjoy!