Why do men and women have affairs? Why would they want to cheat on their beloved spouses? This article points out the top ten reasons why affairs may take place. Unmet needs, revenge, seemingly harmless platonic relationships and alcoholism are among the major causes of affairs.
- Unmet needs – We all have our needs, be they physical, mental or emotional. When these needs go unmet, men and women are bound to have affairs so as to try and satisfy their needs. All of us are thirsty, we have needs that require satisfaction and that is where the problem starts.
- Midlife crisis – Sometimes there is no better explanation for cheating than the good old mid life crisis. Sometimes the mere feeling of having failed to achieve much by a particular age or point in time may push a man or woman into having an affair as consolation.
- Childlessness – Believe it or not, some people marry for the sake of children and lack of them have been reason enough for some men and women to try affairs and see if the problem is with them or their partners. While children may actually form part of a couple’s needs, they pose major problems that should be dealt with separately.
- Revenge – When one partner cheats or has an affair that the other suspects or even realizes, he or she might react by having an affair of her own so as to balance the equation. Tit for tat is the name of the game and getting even the end result.
- Alcoholism and drug abuse – Men and women who abuse drugs, including alcohol tend to suffer from a misjudgement that may make them have an affair only for them to realize later how wrong they were.
- Regret – Some people regret for having married or dated the wrong man or woman and react by cheating or having an affair. While there may be no perfect partner out there, some men and women still believe in meeting that prince or princess and regret when he or she turns into yet another frog.
- Plationic friendship – Be wary of those friends of the opposite sex that keep hovering around your spouse. Many affairs have in the past sprung out of these seemingly harmless friendships that tend to supply the missing link in a marriage. Those best friends provide a shoulder to lean on during the bad times and when the shoulder becomes warmer than the one at home, straying partners may lean too much resulting into affairs.
- Problems – When problems enter through the door, love escapes through the window. Few relationships, marriages included, can withstand compound problems be they financial or otherwise. In some cases, couples tend to look at affairs as some sort of panacea to their many marital woes.
- Peer pressure – This affects more men than women but believe it or not, some men and women cheat merely out of influence. When everyone else is having an affair at the workplace or the salon, when everyone else dares him or her to have an affair, this influence may degenerate into an actual affair.
- Fantasies – Did I hear you giggle? This may be a stupid reason to have an affair but it still qualifies as one of the reasons. A few men and women have fantasies of having sex in some bizarre places and positions that may be actualized in the end if allowed to build up uncontrollably.
What would make you want to cheat or have an affair? Share your thoughts.