A very detailed look into the legends, myths, and perhaps facts about the creatures of the dark, vampires. In other words, things you never knew about Vampires and were afraid to ask.
There have been many TV show and movies about the blood sucking and ever devious (supposedly mythological) beings called vampires. From “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “The Lost Boys” to the enticing and intriguing Anne Rice novels (’Interview with a Vampire’ gothic series) people seem obsessed with the idea of ravenously blood hungry sub-human creatures of the night who stalk their victims with stealth and lustful diligence. These creatures of myth and legends have an erotic and evil history that has been passed on through history for centuries. Is it true they are attractive, suave predators that fascinate humans and survive upon the blood of beautiful young women, or are they evil, dark villains that intend to wipe out the human race?
What is the reality about these creatures we call vampires? Are they really only legends and illusions of gothic myths?
The Truth about Vampires
- You can not be born as a Vampire – TRUE. You must go through “the Change” after your blood has been exchanged with the “vampire pathogen”.
- Vampires are “Shape-Shifters” – TRUE. They can shift features, such as extend their ears, finger nails into claws and incisors can become fangs. It is said some older Vampires can actually shift into bat like creatures that can glide through the sky— they DO NOT FLY like a bat and the stature of their shape-shift is their actual height.
- Vampires are only active at dark — FALSE. Yes, they are sensitive to ultraviolet light and usually prefer to sleep during the day and arise during the night to play and feed. They can function during the daylight hours if they wear protective sunglasses, clothing and sun block spf 50!
- There are different types of Vampires — TRUE. Some researchers believe there are 4 distinct “families” (sub-species) of Vampires. These include: a) human blood drinkers – Sanguinarians……..b) Psychic Vampires – this group preys on the subconscious level and dreams of people draining them of their spiritual and emotional energy – they steal ones “Life Force”. People usually do not die from encounters with this type of Vampire….c) “Draco” Vampire, whom most people believe look like Dracula of the classic horror movies and are vicious evil creatures, these Vampires are the most common type and must have blood to survive, but this species has several other types: the “rat” Vampire…’bat’ Vampire…and “reptilian” Vampire….d) “viral” Vampire is the latest version of the modern day blood sucker, these type spread their affliction through a “virus” that infects humans turning them into Vampires gradually.
- Vampires are immortal – FALSE. Vampires can live for centuries and in rare cases for a thousand years, but they are not part of the “immortals” here on earth. They do have a genetic structure that allows their lives to extend without aging and disease ravaging their bodies. The “vampire” gene ['which exists' in all people] controls the hormone called telomerase that in turn regulates cell deterioration and aging. Hmmmmmmm this might be the key to long life??!!
- The first documented cases of Vampires, seems to come from the Sumerians centuries ago – TRUE. The Sumerians called them “ekimmu”, otherwise known as “the evil gust of wind”, who suck the life force (soul) from people.
- Vampires only sleep in coffins – FALSE. They sleep where they are comfortable. The coffin “bedroom” came from classic horror movies of the 1930’s.
- Garlic will always keep you safe from Vampires (or werewolves) —FALSE. It may work in some cases, but not always. Vampires seem to develop immunity to garlic over time, so many say.
- Vampires can fly — FALSE. Yes, they have extraordinary strength and are 10 times stronger than humans. Some Vampires have been know to be able to leap 20 twenty feet into the air or jump out of a 10 story window with no problem…but they can not fly like a bat or bird!
- The Christian Cross will repel a Vampire and make them powerless —FALSE. This is an old myth promoted again by the classic horror movies from Hollywood and by mythic Christian legends circulated throughout Europe during the 15th and 16th century. The Christian Cross has no power over the Vampire!
This is but a mere beginning concerning Vampires and their legacy —fact and/or fiction. Start doing some research and decide what you believe! Are Vampires real…..or are they a long standing human legend of a grandiose mythical delusion?