You are here: Home » Politics » The Kill, Kill, Kill Ideology of Politics …even in The Face of Tragedy

The Kill, Kill, Kill Ideology of Politics …even in The Face of Tragedy

It’s sad that politics today means that you have to draw a line in the sand and take every opportunity to degrade, humiliate, lie about, and poke fun of any candidate within the ‘other’ party.

It’s no secret that I’m not a fan of Obama personally nor his policies on healthcare, immigration, economics, and foreign affairs. I think he has lied to the American people on several occasions and ultimately failed to bring the hope, change, and transparency he promised the American people four years ago. I have a logical basis to believe this. That said, I don’t think Obama has been 100% wrong 100% of the time. For example, he was right in setting a deadline to drawback and eventually withdraw our troops from Iraq. No war can go on forever. Again, I have a logical basis to believe this – We went, we helped, and now it’s time we leave our allies with the skills they need to do for themselves.

So, it’s sad that many liberals can’t, won’t do the same for the Republican candidates.

Mitt Romney decided to turn a scheduled political rally in the day after Hurricane Sandy into a relief effort. He asked for donated goods from those attending and put monitors up that urged people to make monetary donations to the Red Cross. He even donated a check for an undisclosed amount himself to the Red Cross.

Despite this effort to help and the tragic nature of Hurricane Sandy, liberal bloggers and media outlets immediately turned the political machines on to degrade Romney’s relief efforts. On Reddit, the posts were in mass about how Romney had detracted from the real relief efforts by collecting goods vs money and had put on a big show to boost his reputation. The comments on such posts called Romney a fame whore, greedy, stupid, self-absorbed, etc..

As a survivor of Hurricane Katrina, I could get into how disorganized the Red Cross is and how the extravagant salaries and inflated overhead doesn’t really fit my idea of a helpful charity, but that is for another article. The point here is that Romney was doing his part to bring relief to those that needed it.

It’s just a shame that we feel so engrossed with our chosen candidate that we feel the need to do such idiotic, hateful, spiteful, and un-American crap. If Democracy is to live, we need to examine this kill, kill, kill at all cost ideology that spurs us to believe, or at least pretend to believe, that the other side is 100% wrong 100% of time.

We need to be big enough, sane enough political advocates that we can give credit where credit is due and save our attacks for the issues we actually have logical basis to disagree. It’s simply ridiculous to attack Romney about his relief efforts and use the incident as some political gotcha moment, especially considering the millions of people suffering from the storm.

Liked it
User Comments
  1. septana

On November 6, 2012 at 12:01 am

very good article and useful

2. Will.W

On November 6, 2012 at 12:47 am

So true! I was arguing about this with my roomate today. And I think it’s funny you said posts massed on Reddit, because that is seriously where he gets all of his political opinions. It’s ridiculous.

3. Jo Oliver

On November 6, 2012 at 1:39 am

Will.W. The Reddit brainwashing is just horrid. A lot of the users I’ve known over the years have begun with their own opinions, and, sadly, as they’ve discovered that opinions contrary to the largely liberal base on Reddit get down-voted, down-voted, and more down-voted….they begin to tailor their comments toward popular opinion to get up-voted and make their profile look better. The end result seems to be a lot of brainwashing, as you can only type stuff so long and argue it’s side before you actually believe it and carry it over to your real life. I’m all for contrary opinions and arguing for what you truly believe, but it should be something that you know why, how, etc.. you feel a certain way vs just going with popular opinion to have comment karma.

4. Karen Gross

On November 6, 2012 at 1:55 am

Very insightful. It is sad that so much time, money, and printer’s ink (or the cyberspace version of ink) is spent by politicians to put the other guy down.

5. Will.W

On November 6, 2012 at 4:51 am

Exactly, politics are a trend now. No one thinks for themselves. It blows my mind though that anyone can find anything on Reddit to be a valid source. But me and my roommate debate a lot and send articles back and forth. And sure enough, I can find every single one of his on Reddit, and they’re all from liberal extremists just ranting about Romney and Republicans in every way possible.

6. Secre22

On November 6, 2012 at 6:31 am

Some very true words here. I’m not American and personally believe Romney is the scariest thing that could potentially happen to the world if he gets in, but you are right; credit should be given where credit is due even if you dislike the persons politics.

7. afaceristonline