You are in full control of your own life, starting today.
This is your journey, and yours alone. Others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you.
Here are 5 truths to inspire, motivate and remind you that you aren’t confined by the boundaries others impose on you. You are in full control of your own life, starting today.
- I can only be me. – Stop trying to be someone else’s idea of perfect. Be your imperfectly perfect self. Be YOU. When they laugh at you for being different, laugh back at them for being the same. Judy Garland once said, “Always be a first rate version of yourself instead of a second rate version of somebody else.” Live by this statement. There is no such thing as living in someone else’s shoes. The only shoes you can occupy are your own. If you aren’t being yourself, you aren’t truly living – you’re merely existing.
- This is my life, and my dreams are worth it. – Life is a courageous journey or nothing at all. We cannot become who we want to be by continuing to do exactly what we’ve been doing. If you are passionate about something, pursue it, no matter what anyone else thinks. That’s how dreams are achieved. Be deaf when people tell you that you can’t fulfill your dreams. The only place where your goals and dreams are impossible is inside your head. Once you’ve dreamed of it, you’re halfway there. So go ahead and follow through. Let your dreams be bigger than your fears and your actions louder than your words. Follow your heart regardless of what others tell you to do. At the end of the day it’s you who has to live with your decisions, not them.
- Everything, good or bad, is a life lesson. – Everyone you meet, everything you encounter, etc. – they’re all part of the learning experience we call ‘life.’ Never forget to acknowledge the lesson, especially when things don’t go your way. If you don’t get a job that you wanted or a relationship doesn’t work, it only means something better is out there waiting. And the lesson you just learned is the first step towards it. Remember, there are no mistakes, only lessons. Love yourself, trust your choices, remember what you deserve, and keep pushing forward.
- A few REAL friends are all I need. – When it comes to relationships, focus on quality over quantity. Spend your time with friends who love and appreciate you, and who encourage you to improve in healthy and exciting ways. They are the ones who make you feel more alive, and not only embrace who you are now, but also embrace and embody who you want to be, unconditionally. Spend more time with those who make you smile and less time with those who you feel pressured to impress. These people make your day a little bit brighter simply by being in it. It is better to have one true friend than all the acquaintances in the world.
- My actions and words directly affect the lives around me. – Lead by example. Practice what you preach or don’t preach at all. Walk the talk! People watch what you do more than they listen to what you say. Inspire, challenge and encourage people to their best, by doing YOUR best. And when someone else is doing a great job, tell them that you’re proud of them. Encourage them. Take the time to recognize their effort. If they know you believe they can do great things, they will often go to great lengths to live up to your expectations. Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know. Optimism is a happiness magnet. If you stay positive and confident, good things and good people will be drawn to you.