Some things only happen in Africa. The dark continent is not dark because of color, it is dark because of the weird things that its people do. When you come across strange mannerisms such as the following, know you are in Africa.
When you see some things happening, when you come across the following, you realize that you are in Africa and shouldn’t ask.
- When you come across men sharing condoms and hanging them on the clothesline, don’t ask where you are.
- When you realize that nobody loses an election and incumbents always try to cling to power, then you are in Africa.
- When you go without electricity for a whole day or two because a transformer has been vandalized, don’t ask where you are.
- When internet connection disappears for days and nobody tells you what has happened, when you can’t suddenly reach the outside world, you realize you are in Africa.
- When policemen kill and rob instead of enforcing the law, when you see them shoot instead of arresting suspects, don’t ask where you are.
- When people die because of drought and die again because of floods, you discover that where you are is indeed Africa.
- When tribe determines who is or isn’t your enemy or friend, when tribe determines who you vote for when elections come, don’t ask where you could be.
- When individuals grab everything in sight and call it their own, when powerful politicians think all the forests and beaches are personal property, you should not ask where you are.
- When you come across whole districts that have no schools, hospitals or roads just because they are inhabited by the wrong tribe, you are in Africa!
- When you come across national leaders persuading their tribesmen not to vote for a particular individual because he isn’t circumcised, you have reached mainland Africa.
- When you come across grown up men and women bathing and defecating in a river while others fetch drinking water at the same time, you realize that must be Africa.