With these to call my own observation, I bet some of you will also complain about it.
Complaints are the very first thing I hear every morning. It is like my daily music. People complain about almost everything. They complain about their jobs, other people’s jobs, their bosses and even things that are uncontrollable, like the weather. When it rains, people complain about getting wet. When it’s summer, people complain of getting sun burn. But why do people complain? I really don’t know the answer. Based from my own observation, here are 10 possible reasons people complain:
1. People complain as a sign of discontentment. They tend to be discontented of what they have. They want something more. This applies to employees wanting for higher compensation.
2. They want something or someone to blame to. Instead of solving their problem, they avoid it and complain about it. They simply don’t want to take the responsibility.
3. People want something. This applies to little children and those people who exhibit childish behavior. They will complain until they get what they want. I knew someone who complains about their office table instead of having it repaired or replaced.
4. Resistance to change. New rules, new leaders, and new systems go hand in hand with people’s resistance.
5. They feel threatened. I personally experienced this in my former jobs. He told me I didn’t deserve to get that position. I think I did well in every task given to me. My boss told me about it. But it wasn’t exactly in change for anything not even to please my boss or anybody else. That is probably the main reason they feel threatened about me.
6. People have much idle time. Perhaps they just don’t have anything else to do. Or perhaps they are just bored and complaining is their only means of making use of their time.
7. They are jealous. Some people are simply envious. They have the tendency to want something that belongs to other people.
8. Something is really wrong. I think this the most valid reason to complain. But complaining alone without doing something to solve the problem is useless.
9. They want to get other people’s attention. Everyone wants to be noticed. For some, complaining is the best way to get it.
10. It is part of normal impulse of humans. For whatever reasons, complaining is just a normal reaction of someone who has something to say about what they feel. Unfortunately, not everyone is gifted to clearly and appropriately express it. That is why they complain instead.