The advent of technology has seen to it that the world is swept up in acquiring hand-held cameras on internet enabled mobile phones. This has led to a more personalized feel to everything including taking digital photos. The internet is more vibrant and exciting with the rise of selfies, making it easier to interact with a familiar face as more and more people can now take selfies and upload to social media sites.
Taking selfies is fun and makes the ordeal worthwhile especially when you get hundreds of likes and compliments. It seems easy, but needs mastering, with celebrities like Kim Kardashian writing books on how to skillfully take gorgeous selfies with little filtering or Photoshop.
Below are a few tips on what NOT to do, in order to get top rated selfies on Instagram or Snapchat. With some practice, you too can get positive instead of negative feedback on your submissions.
1. Take a brief look at yourself in the mirror and give approval to how you look first. One of the most important tips for taking amazing selfies is confidence and a bit of practice. No one gets it perfect at the first trial, but giving it a go in front of the mirror and trying a few poses is a good start. Confidence and inner happiness will always reflect on the photo.
2. Look for the perfect lighting. Take advantage of natural light coming in through the windows or go outside and play around with different angles before finding the best one. Light should always fall on your face to brighten up the beautiful features and make them pop.
3. Shaky hands while taking stills can be challenging. Great, clear selfies require that you remain still to avoid blurring. It is possible to take a selfie with one hand, with or without the selfie stick, but sometimes your hand can fail you. Try relaxing and take a few before getting into it. A better alternative is using both hands, with or without the selfie stick, and the photo will still come out marvelous.
4. To avoid the all too familiar and sometimes funny or embarrassing backgrounds, always examine the background first to ensure that nothing is out of place. Avoid a busy or cluttered background, and pick one that also brightens the selfies rather than dulls it. A good example is a colorful mural on the wall or a plain wall.
5. Find the best angle and pose that works with you. Tweak it up a bit over time to give a variance, but try sticking to it as the best angle always brings out the best of your features. If lifting the camera directly up or angling your face to the side works, then use this to your advantage and create the best moments.
6. Always look at the picture as you are taking it and see the final result before snapping away. This allows you to change up the positions and find one that works. You would be amazed at how many people don’t even point their smart phone in the right direction.
7. While trying to find the best lighting for your selfie, you may find that holding up the camera and looking directly at the lens will almost always give off the best selfies. This position centers your eyes in the photo, and allows a part of your neck jewelry and outfit to show, making the selfie more detailed.
These simple tips to get top rated selfies are only pointers to get you started and going. Allowing friends into the picture makes the experience more fun and gives more options for you and your friends as you can switch out positions to take more pictures. Now that you’re properly armed with these tips, go crazy and customize your selfies with crazy poses, silly looks, and the occasional pouty face. With time, you’ll sure witness your social media timeline go abuzz with more activity than you can imagine.